Thursday, April 28, 2016

Betrand Russell advises.

It really has not much to do with GR, but in the moment I saw the video, I knew I had to post it.

I didn't know Russell had a lot to say about GR and relativity. It turns out he wrote a divulgation book about mainly special relativity, but also a little bit about GR.
There are readings in youtube about it (narrated by Derek Jacobi), which I find relaxing and pretty clear, actually, for a non-natural English listener.

Returning to the first link, I find both pieces of advise, moral and intellectual, remarkably simple and powerful. As a man living the cold war, Russell's moral advise has a clear interpretation, despite the deeper and more general meanings of it.

The intellectual one is maybe the more related to this blog. The fact that we are driven by beliefs and desires, doesn't justify we twist reality into them.

"(...) Ask yourself only what are the facts, and what is the truth that the facts bear out (...)". 

It is a good reminder of the right approach I have to follow in this...



No comments:

Post a Comment